Main menu

Pages

Souvlaki Chicken Salad Sandwich with Roasted Red Peppers and Feta

Souvlaki Chicken Salad Sandwich with Roasted Red Peppers and Feta

When I made the chicken, roasted red pepper and goat cheese lasagna I did not have the shredded chicken on hand. The easiest way to get shredded chicken is to roast a chicken and so I made my favourite version, a lemon and oregano roast chicken . After making the lasagna, I had some some of the chicken left over and so I started to contemplate ways to use it. I was thinking that the lemon and oregano flavouring on the roast turkey reminded me a lot of the marinade for my chicken souvlaki and this led me to think that a 'souvlaki' chicken salad sandwich would be pretty good.

I started the 'souvlaki' chicken salad with the chicken and some of the flavours from the souvlaki marinade including the lemon, oregano and garlic. I had used the chicken for the lasagna right away I did not get the chance to use the drippings so I put had them in a container and stored them in the fridge. Since the drippings are just packed with flavour, I skimmed the fat from the top, warmed them up and added them to the chicken salad. From there I added some things that I often add to my chicken souvlaki gyros, namely some roasted red pepper , red onion, tzatziki and feta.

These sandwiches were amazing! The lemon, oregano, garlic and red pepper flavour combination was really tasty and the red onions added a nice contrasting sweetness followed by a bit of bite. The salty feta and cool and creamy tzatziki finished off the sandwich nicely!

Read the recipe »
reactions

Comments