Main menu

Pages

Texas sheet cake for a birthday

texas sheet cakeAnytime is a fantastic time for a birthday, but I’m particularly partial to those birthdays that fall in the month of June. In my family, I have my dear cousin Andrew, a soon-to-be sophomore at North Carolina School of the Arts. In the city, I have my old cosmic buddies, Lisa and Jeanette. In the food blogging world, we have Christine, Sam, Ronnie, Valentina, Meena and Meeta celebrating birthdays this month. One of my favorite writers (and a fellow Texan) Larry McMurtry is a June baby and well, yes, yesterday was my birthday, too.

I’m kind of shy about my birthday (OK, obviously not that shy if I’m writing about it on the internet for thousands of people to see!), and haven’t had a big bash in a few years. I’m more prone to thoughtful contemplation about the nature of aging, all shared with good friends, good food, good songs and good cheer. Melissa recently wrote about the choices people make on their birthdays and how this defines them. She divided people into two groups: those who go for the new and those who go for the familiar. I tend to fall in the latter category, wanting my birthday to be about comfort and treasured favorites since getting older is enough of an adventure. And growing up, it wasn’t my birthday unless I was eating a certain chocolate cake known as Texas sheet cake.
Read more »
reactions

Comments