Main menu

Pages

peach jalapeno jam

Texans love their peaches. I’d say that this love ranks right up there along with bluebonnets, barbecue, cheese enchiladas and football. And for good reason, as Texan peaches are the best. I’ve always assumed everyone knew this, but the other day when I handed a jar of peach jalapeño jam to someone from the East Coast, she asked, “Do peaches grow in Texas?” Surprised, I quickly nodded my head and said yes.

Now, as Texans enjoy being competitive with each other, you’ll find there are those that say the Hill Country town of Fredericksburg has the sweetest, juiciest peaches. And then there are those that prefer the peaches grown in Fairfield and East Texas. But as for me, my favorite peaches are the ones grown at my grandma’s farm.

The other day she called me and told me she was having a good year with her bounty. Though it isn’t always this way, as one year they were terribly tart and another year some hungry critter crawled up in the tree and ate all the peaches in the middle of the night. But this year has been successful, which means her visitors are probably getting their fill of homemade peach pies and cobblers.



Of course, peaches aren’t available year round, so there’s nothing better than preserving your fruit for a taste of summer when the light is limited and the days are cold. Grandma likes to freeze hers to insure we’ll have enough to make a peach pie at Thanksgiving. But one of my favorite methods of preserving this taste of summer is by making jam.
Read more »
reactions

Comments