Main menu

Pages

zucchini slaw

One of the toughest things about living in New York City is the lack of any outdoor space. During the winter when the city is cold and wet, you don’t miss it so much. But now that it’s summer, there’s nothing I like better than sitting outside on a warm, breezy day.

Of course, there are plenty of parks in New York, along with a beach that’s an hour train ride away—not everything is cement and steel. But there’s something to be said about having your own space, and besides the fire escape outside my bedroom window, I have no outdoor space to call my own.

Because I don’t have a yard, I also don’t have a grill or a smoker, which means my knowledge of outdoor cooking is purely based in theory and not in practice. That said, I do have friends here who do have outdoor spaces and they are kind enough to invite me over when they have backyard barbecues. As I don’t like to show up empty handed I have to say that I’ve become quite adept at side dishes and portable desserts. And heck, while I love to gnaw on a smoked rib or tuck into a fatty smoky piece of brisket, I’m just as inclined to get seconds on the coleslaw or potato salad, too.

zucchini slaw

People are often surprised when they visit Texas for the first time and see people enjoying vegetable dishes. While it’s true most Texans love meat, Texas also has a rich tradition of farming and home gardening, which makes for a multitude of side dishes since after you harvest that patch of land you need to eat what you’ve grown.
Read more »
reactions

Comments