Main menu

Pages

Jalapeño bacon Brussels sprouts gratin

Jalapeño bacon Brussels sprouts gratin | Homesick Texan

If your family is like mine, the week before Thanksgiving is filled with a flurry of messages deciding what everyone is making. There’s been lots of give and take and back and forth. Most of my family has a signature holiday dish but there is always room for improvisation and so I’ve been pondering what I could offer.

When thinking about my contribution, in the past my cranberry and poblano salsa has been popular, so it’ll make a return appearance. This hominy casserole is always welcome. And in my first book, there’s a green chile macaroni and cheese that was a huge hit a year I made it, so that’s an option, too. Those are all welcome choices, but I wanted to cook something new.

Enter Brussels sprouts.

Jalapeño bacon Brussels sprouts gratin | Homesick Texan

Brussels sprouts are a fall vegetable that are a member of the Brassica family, which also includes kale, broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower. Indeed, Brussels sprouts look like miniature cabbages because basically that’s what they are. As such, they can be cooked like cabbage, which means they are often boiled or shredded to make a slaw.
Read more »
reactions

Comments