Main menu

Pages

Vietnamese Caramel Shrimp Banh Mi

Vietnamese Caramel Shrimp Banh Mi

With my pickled carrots and daikon radishmade I was ready to move onto making the banh mi sandwiches. A Bánh mìsandwich is a Vietnamese sandwich typically consisting of the pickles, cucumbers, cilantro, chilies, pâté, mayonnaise and a meat all wrapped up in a baguette made from both wheat and rice flour. Other than skipping the pate and using an all wheat baguette, I wanted to keep my sandwiches as traditional as possible which meant that the only real decision left was what meat to use. Well, that wasn't much of a decision either given that it was a shrimp sandwich what inspired me to make the banh mi sandwiches in the first place and I was still craving that shrimp sandwich! Of course, I could not simply saute or grill some shrimp and throw them into the sandwich because I would be missing out on the opportunity to add some flavour and I knew just how I wanted to do it. I am a huge fan of savoury Vietnamese caramel dishes and one of my favorites is the Vietnamese caramel shrimp, or tom rim, and I figured that the sweet and salty caramel shrimp would be perfect in the banh mi sandwich.

Read the recipe »
reactions

Comments