Main menu

Pages

Corn and green chile soup

corn and green chile soup

The legendary cookbook author Fannie Farmer once wrote that corn is not worth eating unless it’s August. I wholeheartedly agree and enjoy my fair share this time of year. If you’re like me, your kitchen has probably been covered in corn silk the past few days.

Most of the time, I’m content to simply broil it and then slap it with some cheese, chili powder, and mayonnaise and call it a day. Or sometimes, I may get a little more fancy and make a batch of jalapeño creamed corn. Lately, however, I’d been craving corn soup, so last week I set out to make one I could enjoy.

In search of inspiration, I spent some time leafing through my cookbooks. Most had at least one recipe to choose from with Diana Kennedy’s “The Cuisines of Mexico” offering three. Lest someone think that was excessive for one book, she wrote, “I make no excuses for including recipes for three corn soups.” Indeed. Though after browsing through all my books it turned out that the soup I sought could easily be done with an adaption of one of my own.

corn and green chile soup

In my first cookbook, I have a corn soup made with bacon and jalapeños. It’s creamy, smoky, and rich, and many of you have told me that it’s one of your favorites. While I also agree that it’s very good, I wanted to give it more of a Tex-Mex flair and turn it into something new.
Read more »
reactions

Comments