Main menu

Pages

peach Dutch baby pancake

At times, I can be stubborn. That certainly was the case this week, as I stumbled through endless days of recipe testing that involved leaving on my oven, even though the temperatures were so high and the humidity so thick, I felt like I was back in Texas.

While it wasn’t ideal baking weather, I was determined to make something new with peaches. And once I get an idea in my head, it’s hard to let it go, which is how I spent three days cranking up my air conditioner as I struggled over muffins, biscuits, and breads. In the end, none of the recipes were bad, but I just felt they weren’t worth the effort of firing up your oven during the summer. And in late July, you definitely need a good reason to endure more heat.

That said, even though I love the simplicity of ripe summer fruit topped with nothing more than a dollop of whipped cream, the caramelized sweetness that comes from baking peaches is also an iconic Texan summer taste. And my quest was attempting to recreate that sensation in something new that wasn’t your usual cobbler or pie.



Sadly, however, all the baked goods I made stifled the peach’s glory, mainly because the delicate fruit was lost in a thick mass of flour, butter, and milk. If you’re going to bake with peaches when they’re at they’re peak, you definitely want them to be noticed. And this is why cobblers and pies are such terrific showcases for this summertime fruit—the crust lifts up the peach instead of burying it.
Read more »
reactions

Comments