Main menu

Pages

My mom makes really, really delicious French Onion Soup. I've had it since I was a little kid and all of her friends and family always ask her for her recipe. Now I know you don't normally think of having soup in June, but when it's a few weeks away from summer and still 50/60 degrees outside…you think of soup. And I think of my mom's soup.
I pretty much always stick to her exact recipe since it's amazing as-is, but this past time I revamped it a little. I made more broth (since Chris likes his soup with a ton of broth) and I also made it extra beefy. All this entailed was switching the beef broth to beef consommé, and the water to beef broth. A super simple change but it made the soup extra rich. Enjoy!

Printable Recipe

Ingredients
  • 4 large onions, sliced thin
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 tbsp. flour
  • 4 (10.5 oz.) cans beef consommé 
  • 4 cups beef broth
  • 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • French bread, sliced into 1" pieces and toasted
  • Sliced Provolone cheese (or any type you prefer)
In a large dutch oven, melt butter. Cook onions in butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally until onions are tender and begin to brown (about 15 minutes). 

Sprinkle with flour and mix immediately. Gradually stir in 1 cup beef consommé. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining beef consommé, broth and Worcestershire sauce. Heat to boiling and then reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.

Place toasted bread in the bottom of a soup bowl and cover with soup. Top with Provolone cheese and place under the broiler until melted and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Enjoy!

Source: Adapted from my Mom's recipe
reactions

Comments