Main menu

Pages

Wild Leek and Double Smoked Bacon Tart

Wild Leek and Double Smoked Bacon Tart

Throughout the winter I have been heading down to the local farmers market every weekend even though the only things that they have had for a long time is apples, pears and a few heartier vegetables that had survived the long cold days and this week I came across something that I have been looking forward to for a while, the wild leeks. Wild leaks , aka ramps, have a garlicky aroma and an onion-y flavour and around here they are one of the first signs spring produce and the promise of things to come. As soon as I had finished picking up a bunch of the wild leeks I was off to the butchers and then on to the cheese monger to pick up the few ingredients to make this wild leek and double smoked bacon tart that I had had on my mind for weeks on end. This tart is a spring inspired version of the ham and leek tart and it is just as easy to make! You simply cook the bacon, saute the whites of the wild leeks in some of the grease, mix the both up with the greens of the wild leeks, along with some eggs, cream and cheese, pour it into an all butter pie crust and bake it until lightly golden brown.

Read the recipe »
reactions

Comments