Main menu

Pages

Chocolate corn chip candy | Homesick Texan

The other day as I was browsing through my mom’s collection of cookbooks, I came across one from the Daniel Webster PTA. Daniel Webster’s an elementary school in Oak Cliff, in case you were wondering, and while there was no date on this book I reckon it’s from the late 1950s or early 1960s, since that's when my mom and her brothers would have attended that school.

Like many community cookbooks, it’s not properly bound; instead it’s a collection of pages held together by rings. As for design, there are no illustrations but the words are all typed in capital letters, which gives you the feeling that every dish is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

Once I got past that typographical quirk, however, I concluded that the recipes in the book are indeed quite wonderful. There are a host of cheese balls, some interesting one-pot dinners, but the thing that immediately caught my eye was a dish called corn chip candy, which called for only two ingredients—corn chips and chocolate chips.



Fortunately, I had all the ingredients on hand (which isn’t tough when there are only two), so I decided to make a batch. The method was simple. You melt the chocolate chips slowly in a double boiler, stir in crushed corn chips until well combined (or until “the yellow is gone,” in the words of the original recipe), and then drop teaspoons of the candy onto a parchment-lined baking sheet to harden.
Read more »
reactions

Comments