Main menu

Pages

fried pickled okra

The other day I was discussing okra with a friend. He’s not usually a fan and thinks it mucks up the plate whenever it makes an appearance. “It’s just so slimy,” he said. "I don't know how anyone can stand it."

I have to admit that for the longest time I felt the same way. About the only way I could stomach it was when it was fried, but even then I’d more likely say no to a batch than yes. It wasn’t until I was introduced to pickled okra that I realized that the slippery green spears could be crunchy, tangy, and crisp.

When talking with my friend, however, he confessed that he recently had fried pickled okra. “It has changed my mind,” he said. I wasn’t surprised, as indeed most people who feel squeamish about okra at least can take it when it’s either fried or pickled. But when you combine both into one dish, even the most reluctant will become a fan.

fried pickled okra

Even though I’m not the first person to fry pickled okra, (when I wrote about fried pickles, many of you said it was great) it’s such a brilliant concept that I wanted to come up with a recipe and try it at home. Not to mention, okra is now abundant at the market and people are always looking for ways to cook it.
Read more »
reactions

Comments