Main menu

Pages

chicken-fried chicken

Spring semester of my senior year in high school, when my friends and I were feeling daring we’d occasionally leave school for lunch. We only had 45 minutes so it had to be quick, and my school was in a remote area so there weren’t many dining options nearby. Though there was one restaurant that appealed to everyone—the local Grandy’s, which was only a short ride away.

If you’re not familiar with Grandy’s, it’s a fast-food joint that specializes in Southern cuisine classics. So if you’re looking for a quick chicken-fried steak along with biscuits and fried okra, Grandy’s is your place. Indeed, that’s what most of us ordered. But one friend, a gal who said she was watching her weight, always insisted on getting the chicken-fried chicken instead.

I hadn’t thought about those carefree days or chicken-fried chicken in years. But when someone asked me how I made mine, I realized it was a topic that needed visiting. Before we go any further, however, let me clarify one thing: chicken-fried chicken is not the same as fried chicken. Instead, it has more in common with chicken-fried steak. This is confusing, I know. Let me explain.

chicken-fried chicken

Two things differentiate fried chicken from chicken-fried chicken. First, fried chicken is bone-in chicken pieces from all parts of the bird that are coated in flour. Chicken-fried chicken, however, is a flattened chicken breast that is dredged in flour, then dunked into an egg and buttermilk wash, and then back into the flour again. The latter process being the same that is used to make chicken-fried steak, hence the name.
Read more »
reactions

Comments