Main menu

Pages

peach bacon guacamole

This last week of August is confusing. For me, Labor Day marks the end of summer, but with the return to school, the beginning of football season, and the first pumpkins spotted at the farmers market, I could swear it’s already fall.

No matter, as long as I’m wearing white pants and cranking the air conditioning I know it’s not autumn just yet. I also know it’s still summer because there are still plenty of ripe, juicy peaches next to those early pumpkins. In order to savor the end of the season, I’ve entered that time of year when I eat peaches all day—morning, noon, and night. (I have to confess I’m eating New York peaches, which are not Texas peaches but they’re still pretty good).

Back in June, on my way to the farm to visit my grandma, I stopped and picked up a bag of Fairfield peaches, a longstanding summertime tradition if you're traveling between Houston and North Texas. After dinner that night, we sliced the peaches and topped them with dollops of whipped cream. It was simple yet elegant and maybe the finest thing I ate my entire trip.

peach bacon guacamole

All summer, I’ve been revisiting that dish (though sometimes I substitute yogurt for whipped cream) and it makes for either a fine dessert or a refreshing breakfast. One morning, however, I was out of both cream and yogurt. At first, I was going to eat my peach on its own, but after I spied an avocado on the counter I decided to see now the peach would fare in a batch of guacamole. I also had some bacon frying, so I decided to throw that into the bowl, as well.
Read more »
reactions

Comments