Main menu

Pages

Guinness French Onion Soup

Guinness French Onion Soup
French onion souphas to be one of my favourite winter comfort soups and with St Patrick's Day coming I thought I would try making it with an Irish twist. When I make french onion soup I like to use wine along with broth to form the liquid base of the soup and why not replace the wine with an Irish stout like Guinness? Since I was using Guinness in the broth I had to bring along some Worcestershire sauce and grainy mustard since they are all such great companions. French onion soup is often served topped with toast and melted cheese and with the Guinness, Worcestershire sauce and grainy mustard combo in the mix that cheese had to be a nice aged cheddar and preferably an Irish one. I have to admit that french onion soup does take a bit of time to make, it takes time to properly caramelize the onions, but this Guinness french onion soup is so worth the effort; a perfect treat to warm one up on a cold St Patrick's Day!

Read the recipe »
reactions

Comments