Main menu

Pages

Banana, bacon, and pecan pancakes

banana, bacon, and pecan pancakes

There are many ways to say I love you, and in my family, some folks have decided that pancakes are the way to show they care.

First there was my grandfather, who you’d find every Saturday flipping fat fluffy pancakes stuffed with blueberries and pecans. Then there’s my uncle and his famous Mexican pancakes, a concoction so outrageous that he’s been known to travel with a special skillet that’s used especially for these large pancakes loaded with pineapple and coconut. My brother has also taken to making pancakes, and on Christmas morning the family visited in the kitchen as he made stack after stack after stack.

Pancakes and love have been on my mind this week, as it’s not only the first week of Lent but Valentine’s Day is happening, too.

banana, bacon, and pecan pancakes

Shrove Tuesday, which in England is known as Pancake Tuesday, is that last hurrah before Lent begins. Of course, Shrove Tuesday is also known as Mardi Gras. And growing up in Houston, which is close to Galveston and New Orleans, two places rich with Mardi Gras traditions, I always felt a little strange spending that particular Tuesday hanging out in my church’s parish hall eating pancakes instead.
Read more »
reactions

Comments