Main menu

Pages

Roasted Butternut Squash and Swiss Chard Quinoa Bibimbap

Roasted Butternut Squash, Black Bean and Swiss Chard Quinoa Bibimbap

Last week I came across an article on the New York Times about using quinoa in bibimbap which was an interesting coincidence since I had recently tried the same thing. Bibimbap is a Korean dish that consists of various vegetables and meats served in a bowl over rice with a spicy chili sauce. I have been enjoying exploring new uses for quinoa and it makes a great substitute for rice so I thought that a quinoa bibimbap would be a nice idea. Normally bibimbap has a meat in it but this time I was thinking about a vegetarian version with winter vegetables starting with butternut squash that I tossed in gochugaru, Korean style chili pepper flakes, and roasted until nice and tender. I often like to include spinach in bibimabap but I was thinking that swiss chard would be a nice substitution this time. I then build up the bibimbap with some sauteed shiitake mushrooms, grated cucumber and carrots. I have done a lot of warm quinoa salads recently and I have been enjoying the combination of the beans in those salads so I tried adding some black beans to this bibimbap before finishing it off with a fried egg and some spicy gochujang sauce . Quinoa once again proved how versatile it is working amazingly well as a substitute for rice in this bibimbap where its texture played particularly well with the other ingredients making for one really tasty and healthy meal.

Read the recipe »
reactions

Comments