Main menu

Pages

Spicy Pork Bulgogi Banh Mi

Spicy Pork Bulgogi Banh Mi

A few weeks ago when I made the porchettaI needed a 2 pound pork shoulder bu the smallest that I could get was a 4 pounder so I cut it in half and froze the extra. Since I have been trying to clear some space in the freezer lately I wanted to use it soon and as luck would have it I had just the thing in mind! I have been into banh mi sandwiches lately and while I was enjoying the last one, a Vietnamese BBQ pulled pork banh mi, I remembered thinking that it would probably work with other kinds of meat and in particular daeji bulgogi, a Korean spicy BBQ pork.

For this Vietnamese and Korean fusion sandwich, I went with some Vietnamese pickled carrots and daikon radishand some kimchiin addition to the spicy Korean BBQ pork as fillers. I wanted to go with a mayonnaise that had a hit of Korean flavour but I was torn between two; a spicy gochujang mayo and a sesame mayo, and in the end I decided to just go with both. The spicy pork bulgogi banh mi turned out really well! The sweet and spicy marinated pork went particularly well with the Vietnamese pickles and the mayo helped tame the heat of both the pork and the kimchi. I am glad that I went with both of the tasty mayonnaises and I liked that all of the pickles helped cut through their creaminess cleansing your palate so that you were ready for the next bite. I am looking forward to enjoying some more of these sandwiches!

Read the recipe »
reactions

Comments