Main menu

Pages

Mushroom and Feta Phyllo Pie

A while ago I was brainstorming mushroom recipe ideas and one that particularly caught my attention was for a mushroom and feta phyllo pie. This idea was of course inspired by one of my favourite dishes, spanakopita, a Greek spinach pie . I envisioned the recipe as something along the lines of sauteeing some mushrooms, mixing them up with feta cheese, wrapping it all up in phyllo and baking it until it was golden brown. I wanted to bulk the filling out a bit and a bunch of sauteed leeks seemed like the perfect way to do it and they would add some flavour at the same time. For some reason, I kept coming back to trying to work some balsamic vinegar into the dish and I decided that by using a scant splash to deglaze the pan with would be a nice was to get it without it overpowering the pie. These days when I am looking for a herb to go with mushrooms, thyme seems to get all of the attention but I also enjoy the dill and mushroom flavour combo and it seemed like the natural choice this time. Next up was the feta along with some ricotta and eggs to bind everything together. Normally when I make spanakopita I do it like a pie with layers of phyllo on the bottom and on the top but this time I wanted to try something new and I rolled the phyllo up around the mushroom filling and then spiraled the rolls around the inside of the baking pan. The mushroom and feta phyllo pie turned out even better than I had hoped. All of the ingredients and flavours worked well together and you really cannot go wrong wrapping it all up in light and flaky phyllo pastry!

Read the recipe »
reactions

Comments