Main menu

Pages

Vietnamese Pickled Carrots and Daikon Radish

Vietnamese Pickled Carrots and Daikon Radish

The other day when I made the spicy peanut shrimp sandwiches with Thai style slaw , they reminded me of banh mi sandwiches and I since then that idea has been running through my head. I often find that the easiest thing to do when you have something stuck in your mind is to just give in to the craving and so I set about to making some of these Vietnamese sandwiches. Of course the first, and possibly the most important, step in making a truly good banh mi sandwich is the pickled carrots and daikon radish. Although pickles can sometimes be intimidating these pickles are super quick and easy to make and well worth the effort. Pretty much all you need to do is peel and cut the carrots and daikon radish and then let them sit in the pickling solution of water, vinegar, salt and sugar for a while. You should let the vegetables pickle for at least a half an hour but they will keep in your fridge for a couple of days so you can even make them ahead of time greatly reducing the amount of effort required to make those tasty banh mi sandwiches.
Read the recipe »
reactions

Comments